Retired - Correct Coding for Pneumatic Compression Devices
Pneumatic compression devices (PCD) consist of an inflatable garment for the arm or leg and an electrical pneumatic pump that fills the garment with compressed air. The garment is intermittently inflated and deflated with cycle times and pressures that vary between devices. Several categories of these devices exist. It is important to use the correct HCPCS code for the item provided.
PCDs used for the treatment of lymphedema and chronic venous insufficiency with ulcers are coded based upon the characteristics of the base device. The codes used are:
- E0650 - PNEUMATIC COMPRESSOR, NON-SEGMENTAL HOME MODEL
- E0651 - PNEUMATIC COMPRESSOR, SEGMENTAL HOME MODEL WITHOUT CALIBRATED GRADIENT PRESSURE
- E0652 - PNEUMATIC COMPRESSOR, SEGMENTAL HOME MODEL WITH CALIBRATED GRADIENT PRESSURE
PCDs used for the treatment of arterial disease are coded:
- E0675 - PNEUMATIC COMPRESSION DEVICE, HIGH PRESSURE, RAPID INFLATION/DEFLATION CYCLE,FOR ARTERIAL INSUFFICIENCY (UNILATERAL AND BILATERAL SYSTEM)
Sleeves used with E0650 - E0652 and E0675 are billed separately using codes E0655 – E0673 depending upon the specific item provided.
There are other types of PCDs that are often referred to as deep vein thrombosis (DVT) pumps, massage therapy pumps, post surgical DVT preventative pumps, etc. (not all inclusive). These types of devices are coded:
- E0676 - INTERMITTENT LIMB COMPRESSION DEVICE (INCLUDES ALL ACCESSORIES), NOT OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
The garments/sleeves that are used with E0676 are included in the payment for E0676 on initial issue and must not be billed separately. If a supplier chooses to bill separately for the garment/sleeve at the time of initial issue, then HCPCS code A9900 - MISCELLANEOUS DME SUPPLY, ACCESSORY, AND/OR SERVICE COMPONENT OF ANOTHER HCPCS CODE must be used.
HCPCS code A4600 - SLEEVE FOR INTERMITTENT LIMB COMPRESSION DEVICE, REPLACEMENT ONLY, EACH is used only when the sleeve is being replaced, not at the time of initial issue. This code may only be used with compressors coded with E0676. HCPCS codes E0655 – E0673 must not be used when billing for garments used with E0676 devices.
Refer to the Local Coverage Determination (LCD) and Policy Article for Pneumatic Compression Devices for coverage and HCPCS coding requirements.
|Published on PDAC website